Monday, September 5, 2016

Medblog 1

I should first point out I'm not a medical professional, nor is this commentary intended to give medical advice. It is simply an actual documentation of events following a heart attack I sustained in 2015.

My Sister Suzanne suggested I write a blog about my latest heart attack because of how it ended up turning out. I was cool to the idea because I didn't want to make myself out to be a hero or even anyone special. I'm neither. But she convinced me it might be a good idea to tell my story so others can gain hope if they are in a similar situation. I've been diabetic since at least my December 1999 diagnosis. My condition lead to my first heart attack at aged 45 in November 2001. I had another heart attack in January 2008. That one moved me to become stricter about my diet and weight than the first one had. I went from 250 lbs in 1999 to my high school weight of 180 lbs. I was still at 220 lbs in 2008 even after my initial weight loss efforts. But by 2014, I'd gone down to my high school weight of 180 lbs.

In October of 2014, I made a marathon 3,000 mile trip to Alabama, West Virginia and north Florida. There were a few problems on the trip which caused an increase in the miles I'd driven. It was a week long trip to see relatives and a best friend. After that trip, I began to notice my weight increasing. Later, my feet began slowly swelling, and then my legs swelled. On March 10, 2015, I went to my doctor and he diagnosed Congestive Heart Failure or CHF. My second heart attack in 2008 was also a CHF attack. My first was an acute heart failure which destroyed much of my heart tissue.

On March 20th, I checked into the hospital. The initial treatments were promising but the hospital room was so cold, I'd huddle under a blanket like a homeless guy under a bridge. I even looked the part as my beard had become unkempt. I was beginning to reach a point of diminishing returns by the end of the first week. I'd hoped to be headed home by this time. My ejection fraction was only 6. I half jokingly asked my doctor if I was actually already dead! By months end, I was considering discharging myself but I hung on. For one thing, I'd gone up to 210 lbs. On April 4th, I noticed a message on the nurses board saying "Keep him comfortable". I knew that was hospital staff code for "I'm dying". It was easy to understand because every time my doctors would come in, they'd see me under the blankets. They'd always come in unannounced. The Physical Therapists (PT) would come in before lunch which gave me a chance to shed the blankets. I'd do my best during PT sessions and often did more than asked. I Was hoping these efforts might result in an imminent discharge. I was visited by a hospice nurse which told me in effect, I was to be carted off to die. My Sister and Brother in Law came by and I mentioned the latest developments. I told them I said "I'm not plannin on dying". Paul (My Brother in law) was surprised at my comment. He knew then, I wasn't ready to go off to croak. The time I spent in the hospital was approaching two weeks and I was mainly there to reduce the swelling in my legs. It wasn't working.

That evening, I was discharged after my request was processed. I went home after almost two weeks in the hospital. The longest I'd ever been hospitalized. I went to see my regular physician who wasn't in. So I talked with his substitute, Dr. Kahn. He advised me to limit my fluid intake to 2,000 CCs a day. By the 14th of April, I was beginning to see the results of my strict fluid intake. But like any diet, I knew the initial loss of fluid would be large compared to getting the remaining fluids out. Suzanne saw the big fluid loss in my feet and it moved her to tears. She was amazed at how I was doing. By June 10th, I saw my Cardiologist who was also impressed with my home treatment plan. He saw improvement in my heart but advised me to limit my travels.

In about the middle of June, I decided to cut my liquid intake from 2,000 CCs to as low as 500 CCs. By July 6th, my weight was down to 186. but it took another month to loose just one lb, even at an average of 1,000 CCs liquid intake. I'd gained a few pounds after my 186 lb recording. That prompted a cut to 500 CCs and by mid September, I reached 182 lbs. I began to raise my liquid diet limitation. Despite my travel limitations, I decided to visit a relative who lived some 500 miles from where I lived. I flew to avoid driving and causing another episode of swelling in my legs. I didn't tell my cardio doc about this trip. The trip still had a downside. I had some minor swelling and had gained 16 lbs just on a weekend flight to and from Jacksonville. But I'd driven to Tallahassee and back which was 6 plus hours of driving. I got my weight and swelling down again just a week or so after my trip. By mid November, I considered the weight loss and diet restrictions to have eliminated all the fluid from my legs and feet. By Novembers end, I'd gotten back to my 180 lbs, the ordeal had ended. Now at aged 60. My heart has improved and I have kept my weight in check. It would be unfair not to credit my recovery to the efforts of my various doctors, nurses and PT's. Unlike many who might see this as yet another commentary on how crappy doctor treatment is versus home treatment. This is not the case here. It was the doctors who told me how much fluid to cut that made this story a success. I simply followed doctors orders once I got away from the cold hospital. Even after my first heart attack almost 15 years ago, I maintained the healthiest diet possible and avoided a toe amputation in 2010 as a result. I have to say by following doctors orders, taking my meds and dieting, at least a decade has been added to my life.
My legs as they normally appeared.

An approximation of my swelled legs.



































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































 

No comments:

Post a Comment